8.04.2009

You tell me...

Well, in honor of today's last class & quiz, I'm questioning you -- my loyal readers (all 3 of them). How would you do on today's multiple-choice portion of the quiz? Answers to follow...


(The mini-essay is about the stylistic evolution of the Beatles as seen in their album covers: pick 1 cover from the early, middle & late years to illustrate your point about their evolution)


1) What is unique about the final songs on Abbey Road?

a. They are all in the same key

b. They are all sung by the same singer and have similar subjects

c. They are all sung by different singers and have dissimilar subjects

d. They all merge together into a montage


2) Who perceived imaginary messages in the Beatles’ White Album?

a. Phil Spector

b. Charles Manson

c. Sharon Tate

d. George Martin


3) What song on the White Album mentions at least 3 previous Beatles’ songs?

a. “The Long and Winding Road”

b. “Julia”

c. “Glass Onion”

d. “Back in the U.S.S.R."


4) Why was John’s first version of “Revolution” deemed unfit as a single?

a. It was too fast

b. It was too slow

c. He was ‘out’ on violence

d. He was ‘in’ on violence


5) Which posthumous album was released after the Beatles broke up?

a. Revolver

b. Abbey Road

c. The Beatles, aka The White Album

d. Let It Be


6) Who was brought in to re-mix the Get Back/Let It Be tapes?

a. Phil Spector

b. Charles Manson

c. Sharon Tate

d. George Martin


7) What song did George write while using Eric Clapton’s acoustic guitar?

a. “Here Comes the Sun”

b. “Something”

c. “Layla”

d. “Wonderful Tonight”


8) The Beatles released the single “Hey Jude/Revolution” during what significant event?

a. 1965, Sandy Koufax’s perfect game

b. 1963, JFK’s assasination

c. 1969, Woodstock

d. 1968, Chicago Democratic Convetion


9) Who was Billy Preston?

a. The producer of Let It Be

b. The leader of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

c. A pianist George brought into the Get Back/Let It Be sessions

d. All of the above


10) Which Beatles was once a member of the Traveling Wilburys?

a. Paul

b. Ringo

c. George

d. John

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Since I'm one of the three, I'll respond. Definitely would have failed. Only one I knew was #5. But isn't the use of posthumous misleading since they were all alive?

Anonymous said...

I think I'm one of the 3 too...

Honestly, I would know any of the answers. Though it is amazing that a music group could create so much educational benefits for so many years (up to 40 yrs at this point?) You should have included a bonus/extra credit question.. something like this:

What producer/artist combo released a widely popular remixed version of the White Album back in 2003 illegally?
a) Just Blaze & Nas
b) DJ Dangermouse & JayZ
c) Funkmaster Flex & LL Cool J
d) J. Dilla & Blueprint

Anonymous said...

Bonus fill-in-the-blank questions:

a) What was the name of that album?
b) What album was the While Album mixed with?

Celexo said...

Casey--I convinced one of my students to write her final paper about the Grey Album! She's focusing on "Encore" but talking about the album as a whole -- cool, right?

Al--I just used the term posthumously because the band had officially disbanded, so to speak; but yes, it's probably a little improper

Anonymous said...

Alex- that's great! I don't listen to hip-hop/rap as much as I used to, but I still love the Grey Album. In fact, I'm putting it on now.

Anonymous said...

I am confident about all but #3, no big surprise here.

Cake for Breakfast said...

As a loyal reader I feel I should comment, but I don't think you'd still be friends with me if I attempted to answer any of these. So I won't. Looking forward to hearing all about Toronto.