5.12.2009

The Great Baby Ploy of '09


It's not exactly a secret that I'm a tiny bit baby crazy these days. A few weekends ago TW & I went to a birthday party for a one-year old! Owen, the son of good friends of mine from grad school (and poker night), turned 1 and was feted by a bevy of other one-year olds (did I use all those words correctly?). Well, a number of these kids were cute, but some were not; some kids were well behaved, others were holy terrors. The holy terrors belonged to, what TW & I judged to be, awful parents -- funny, right? The cutest kid, by far, was absolutely adorable; he couldn't keep his eyes off me, and once he locked on he just stood there and stared, and stared...he was "look the other way, I'm stealing your baby" cute. Case closed.

On to the question: is the baby crazy an act? TW can't quite make up her mind (it's a good thing she doesn't read this blog!). It wouldn't be the first time that I've used babies as a bud of a joke concerning TW. Two Thanksgivings ago I told my entire family that TW & I were getting married over a year from then; I then discover that TW & TMIL found a great place to get hitched and it was going down this past July. So, once I return home for Christmas, I have to tell everyone that TW & I "had" to get married early, if you know what I mean (wink, wink).

Well, the baby crazy is not necessarily an act. But, I do realize that I can use it as leverage to help me get something else that I'm crazy about: a dog! I know that TW doesn't want kids anytime soon -- "Wait till we both get jobs" she crys -- but, I think that we're getting closer to the dog...really. In fact, I think a dog will definitely help me get through my fellowship year next year. I'm terrified of the cabin fever that is entirely possible from my lack of outside working; so, what would a better way to get out of the house than walking a dog? I think it's perfect...so, I'm slowly but surely working my way there.

No comments: