12.13.2008

Weekly TV Roundup: "What Exactly is the Point of a Rubber Duck?"

I'm thinking that Saturday mornings should continue the tradition, began here, where I review my favorite TV shows from the previous week. For me, this week was a killer from Tues to Fri: I was gone from 8:30AM to 10:00PM each day (Trivia on Tues; "Chicago" on Wed; Proctoring on Thurs and Fri). Thursday and Friday were the first of the finals, for which I'm a head proctor up at school. This entails me to overseeing all the proctors, including all the extra-time exams. Unfortunately this means that I'm at school, with TW and another colleague, from 8:45AM to 10:45PM--ugh, they pay well, but the commitment's a killer.

Luckily, we got out early last night because of services, which meant that TW and I got caught up on a few DVR'ed shows.

30 Rock
Not quite on the par w/past X-mas shows (see 'A Very Kenneth Christmas' season 2, episode 9), but still a quality work. Anytime you get to hear Elaine Stritch sing, you're in for a good time. TW, by the way, thought Stritch was Phyllis Diller...not much else to say here, right? I thought that this episode was pretty thick with Tina Fey's liberal, bleeding-heart guilt about racism: from her "(w)Rapping Santas" to her asking Tracy to help w/the (black) Postal Worker, black-white relations were certainly a major theme of this episode. Of course, the secondary story line about Jack almost killing his mother was the best--two many funny lines to even quote them. My two other favorites are below:

Tracy: “What’s the past tense of scam? Is it Scrumped? Liz Lemon, I think you just got scrumped.”
Jack: “We had a falling out over the Jerry Garcia stamp. I mean, if I wanted to lick a hippy, I would just return Joan Baez’s phone calls."

Survivor
Well, we are certainly getting down to the nub of things; 5 contestants remain, and I believe that this could be the strongest group of 5 that I can remember: 2 athletic competitors (Matty & Bob), 2 so-called masterminds (Kenny and Sugar) and 1 tag along (can't quite place her name--oh well). Krystal sealed her fate, and she knew it after the fact: why were Kenny and Krystal so mad at Matty? Talk about deflecting...ugh!

Could this be the first season where two of the best competitors make down to the final three? I think that Matty, Sugar and Bob could and should team up to vote out Kenny and Susie (that's her name!)...I've had a little love affair with Kenny this season, but he's finally cracked, it seems. I've been won over to Bob's side now; TW loves this guy, just like Gary from a few seasons back.

I've still Pushing Daisies to watch today, and I'll probably post an update later this afternoon...I'm trying out the left foot tonight at our game, but I'm not gonna play--just give it a whirl warming up, and possibly even giving it a go. We're kind of in a lazy mode right now: watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (hence the title of the blog!).
Enjoy your weekend...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding! This 30 Rock was the one of the best 30 minutes of TV ever.
Love,
mom