12.17.2008

"I've Fallen, and I Can't Get Up"


Well actually: a few hours ago, I fell but I was able to get up! Thanks for asking...

As you know if you've been reading the weather pages (hi Mom!), last night/this morning we had a lovely little 1" of snow followed by a wintry mix of snow/sleet/ice/rain. Normally in these conditions, my ass hits the couch and I fire a few episodes of West Wing or Star Wars--depending on the severity of the weather. Unfortunately, today is the second-to-last day of proctoring--so TW and I were up at school delivering blue books for all the little kiddies at 'Deis.

If you've ever been to 'Deis, you know that our campus is a little hilly; you know how this is gonna end, don't you? That's right, I hit a lovely little patch of ice, which was hidden under a puddle of (cold) water, and I was airborne...for what felt like an eternity (see pic above). After my aborted attempt at air travel, my tailbone crashed down to the earth with the force of a 185-pound man (that's me!) and my left elbow contacted shortly thereafter, which resulted in a nice little swollen bump where my elbow used to be.

I imagine that I looked pretty much like the above picture, which is why I included it; but of course, I wasn't in black & white--I was wearing a lovely little ensemble capped off with my new, silver winter coat and a pair of jeans. Of course, the butt of the jeans are now soaked--actually, they're not soaked anymore so much as damp.

Now I've been in Boston for 10+ winters and I've never slipped-and-fallen on a patch of ice before...I've fallen on ice before, but that was during a rather heated session of Broomball back in my undergraduate days.* Does anyone have that pic of our broomball team online? I have a copy of it, but it's analog...

So, I'm sitting here on a bruised tailbone (and ego), with soaked pants and a swollen elbow--ugh, anybody want to switch?

*One might assume, from this pic, that all I did in college was sit on my ass. I assure you, that is not the case! Perhaps more photographic evidence is necessary--I'll work on that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to New England.