11.25.2008

Pivot


Today is a pivot from the visiting Parents (they left yesterday) to becoming a visitor myself (going down to Long Island for Thanksgiving). This lovely little coat (see pic) is one result of my parents coming: they love to buy me stuff! I needed a new coat, and it was bitterly cold while they were here, so fate worked in my favor.

Unfortunately, I am not spending today sprawled on a couch watching
West Wing...I'm sitting here at the booth re-familiarizing myself with this file on my computer mysteriously entitled, "Chapter 2." I did end up doing a little bit on the train this morning and continued some at the booth...more will certainly happen later.

TW and I figured out last night that I spent over $35 in tolls: that's $1.25 each way on the Pike dropping off/picking up Dad ($5 each day), plus $10+ in NYC tolls, plus another $10 in Logan airport fees--yikes, I don't want to see that bill! It was all worth it, however, as both Parents enjoyed their trip--although they are both a little worse from the wear; I think their knees have blown up to the size of grapefruits today.

Tonight my butt will be firmly planted back in the car, as TW and I drive down to Long Island for our very first "holiday" as a married couple. This presents the opportunity to live-blog a family holiday, which should provide a few comments of hilarity--keep an eye out. Finally I need to give myself a little congratulations: I have now been accepted into my second conference. I am now 2/2, and probably should just quit the business right? I read somewhere that someone asked what would Hammerstein do after he wrote Oklahoma? His answer, "Probably shoot myself..." I'm not feeling suicidal or anything, but I'm a little apprehensive about the process of living up to my extravagant title: "Re-evaluating the Three-Part Exposition: Pseudo-Developments, Purple Passages and the Minor Dominant in Haydn's Op. 76, No. 1."

Stay tuned for more developments...next blog will most likely come from NY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've been tagged by www.joemusicology.com
pass it on!

RobP said...

Hey Alex, I just discovered your blog, and now that I'm reading the title of your paper, I realize that you asked me a long time ago about Purple Passages, and I never responded. So how's it going? Can we still talk about Tovey? What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Oh and now we're blog friends (Except you actually blog, and I don't) By the way, this is Rob, as in Rob Pearson.

Unknown said...

The Parents really did have a great time. You turkey looked great- good job carving- missed you on Thanksgiving
love,mom