1.19.2009

Another day, another snowstorm...

Sitting here at the computer, it's very pretty to look out and see 8+ inches of snow covering everything. Yesterday morning, as I was driving into work during the heart of the storm, it was not so pretty. It seems now that every Bostonian w/a plow believes that he owns the road -- relax there, Tiger, you do not get a license to continuously stop and start, back and forth, all the way down the street; just because it's snowing out doesn't mean that you own the frackin'* road.

In honor of the work I've already done this morning (2+ hours, and 1 car shoveled out), I'm including a little RBOC** action:

  • On Saturday, TW and I spent some hard-earned cash at Crate&Barrel. Actually, it wasn't hard earned and it wasn't cash: it was a gift certificate leftover from our wedding...anywho, we ended up getting a whole range of stuff:
  1. A Dutch Oven by Mario Batali. We lucked out because right next to the $89.95 red one, there was a green one that was identical in everything but color and price ($59.95). Green's great, in the cart...
  2. A number of footed soup bowls perfect for Onion Soup (because they are broiler safe).
  3. A bitchin' vase that was totally a splurge, but I like it and it just happens to match a Marc Rothko print that we have in the front room.
  • MLK moment: in preparation for our dreaded downgrade into economy cable land, we've been watching a number of documentaries around the house lately. Of course you remember my blog imploring you all to find "HELVETICA" online, right? Well this one was just as good: "The Night James Brown Saved Boston," was about a concert, at the Boston Garden, that James Brown gave on the night after MLK was assasinated. The mayor, Kevin White, initially wanted to cancel the event but was convinced that a cancellation would do more harm than good. Many interviews are spliced into the actual footage of the concert, which by the way, pre-empted a production of Anton Checkov's Uncle Vanya starring Lawrence Olivier...
  • We're currently watching another documentary, also by [i]ndependent lens, called "Wordplay," which is about crosswords and the editor of the NYTimes crosswords Will Shortz. If you enjoy doing even the easiest of puzzles, you'll love this documentary.
  • I think we've had about 4 snowstorms this winter with at least 8+ inches each times. This means that on the plus side, we've had a white blanket of snow on the ground since about December 20th; on the negative side, WE'VE HAD A BLANKET OF SNOW ON THE GROUND SINCE DECEMBER 20TH!!!! I'm a little tired of it all...
=============
The last few weeks have seen me hard at work on my little fellowship application. It's coming along quite nicely, although I'm haunted by the terribly small faculty. We currently have 3 professors: 1 of whom is my advisor; 1 that I haven't had a class with, or TA'ed for, or even spoken to in 2+ years; and 1 brand-spanking new professor that I couldn't even pick out of a lineup. So, I'm hoping prof. #2 checks his e-mail and recognizes my name because I need a letter of rec ASAP...


* That's right, TW and I are now watching Battlestar Galatica -- albeit four seasons behind; we are loving, by the way!
** Random Bits of Crap, in case you missed the memo...

No comments: