1.07.2009

Neal Stephenson

I'm not quite done with "Snow Crash" yet, but I've had this post bouncing around in my head for quite a while now and wanted to just publish it. This is the 3rd book by Neal Stephenson that I've read in a short period of time (see my previous write up of Cryptonomicon here), and I'm just astounded at not only how readable these diverse books are, but also how enjoyable the little details are.

In "Snow Crash," Stephenson creates a world in the not-so-distant future where the United States has ceded most of its land to franchises, such as sovereign burbclaves like "Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong" or the pizza chain "Uncle Enzo's CosaNostra Pizza, Inc." The two main characters are Hiro Protagonist, a pizza deliverer for the above-mentioned Uncle Enzo, and Y.T. (Yours Truly), a 15-year old skateboard "Kourier" who harpoons moving vehicles. Most of the action takes place in the Metaverse, a "Myst"-like virtual-reality based Internet, where everyone signs on with their own avatar (this book is where the term took hold!) and conducts any business they prefer, from hanging out at clubs to doing the grocery shopping. Hiro and Y.T. chase down the enigma of a new computer virus that's shorting out computer hackers everywhere threatening to overun the Metaverse.

The level of detail in this world is amazing, but the one quote that sticks in my head is of the vulgar variety: "Hiro answered the phone as the grocery carts performed their anal copulation."

The previous Stephenson book that I read was "Quicksilver: Vol. One of the Baroque Trilogy." This book is diametrically opposed, in setting at least, from "Snow Crash." Bouncing between characters in Versailles, London and the Hague, circa the 17th century, Stephenson creates a world in which Science is beginning to triumph over religion, and worldwide politics, intrigue and finance all play a vital role. I can't even begin to summarize the plotlines here; suffice it to say, it's one of the most enjoyable 900-page romps I've ever read!

Here are two passages, about ice-skating of all things, that illustrate Stephenson's attention to detail: "She'd looked like a windmill--flailing without moving." This image just got stuck in my brain: haven't you ever had that moment on skates where you know you've lost your balance, but you do everything possible to try to save it? I imagine you'd like just like a windmill...

Also, a picture of a more graceful skater: "She carved a long sweeping U round the west end of the Hofvijver, spun round to face forward again, built more speed without lifting her skates from the ice, by means of sashaying hip-movements that took her down the long front of the Binnenhof, in a serpentine path, and finally stopped just before running into d'Avaux by planting the blades sideways and shaving up a glittering wall of ice." [p. 522-523]

As radically different as these three worlds are (WWII/cryptography; 17th-century science and finance; 21st-century science fiction), Stephenson is able to unite them through his apparent first love: binary code and cryptology. Every book, thus far, features hacking and binary code (even the Baroque Trilogy, to a certain extent), which is a world far removed from my comfort zone; but Stephenson makes it feel completely natural and organic.

=========================
Have any of you tried condensing a (as yet unwritten)document down into a 7-page proposal? This is what I've been working on lately, as I'm trying to get my dissertation-year fellowships turned in by their deadlines. I keep plugging away; as Woody Allen says, "80% of life is just showing up," which is my inspiration to get my butt glued in front of the computer at my desk!

No comments: