1.06.2009

RBOC: Back-To-Work Edition

* 99¢ "Poorman's Special"; I had a special customer today at the B@#tix booth--you know, one of those people that, without any sort of prompting, divulges their entire life story. Anyway, this particular customer felt the need to inform me of Durgen Park's old "Poorman's Special": for 99¢ you got the roast beef and a very special dessert, which consisted of the leftover coffee grinds in a jello mold. Seriously, I made a face --who wouldn't--and she confirmed that not only did they actually sell this, but that she's tasted it...wow!

* Fun words to say: GENITALS; ORB; AMBIDEXTROUS

* I got a record high 9 books for X-mas this year: 2 by Michael Pollan about food ("Omnivore's Dilemma" and 1 more); two by Neal Stephenson ("Snow Crash" and part 2 of The Baroque Trilogy, "The Confusion"); Junot Diaz's Pulitzer-Prize winning "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" (thanks Aaron!); Dostoevsky's "The Gambler"; a book about Henry James and Modernism (I forget the author); a huge-ass coffee table book about Star Wars (thanks Al!) that totally rocks--I've already used the temporary tattoo; and I used a gift card to buy Tom Friedman's earlier book about Israel and Palestine, which seems very appropriate these days. All in all, a totally awesome haul. I'm halfway through "Snow Crash" right now (look for the review after I finish), and I started "Oscar Wao" last night--I think that it'll be my nightstand book of choice.

* Physically, I'm starting to feel better: my foot is continuing to heal--I went to the gym yesterday, but only rode the bike. I'll try to start some more active pursuits soon; my back is completely better; and my sinus infection seems to be on its last legs. Unfortunately, I seem to have passed it on (are sinus infections contagious?) to TW.

* We're thinking about cutting back on our cable bill: the two options are 1) getting rid of the DVR (-$15) and reducing to a $30 a month package, which gets rid of ESPN and MTV, but keeps BRAVO; or 2) keeping the DVR, but reducing the entire cable down to extreme basic, which is about $10 a month. What do you think?

============
I was at the booth today, and my 'puter was acting a little strange, so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped to. But I did get some work done, and I feel like I'm in a place where I can get back into the swing of things tomorrow. Currently I'm cleaning up my prospectus to turn in for two different fellowships that are due at the end of the month. So fun times here in Boston as I try to get my brain, as well as my body, back in shape.

4 comments:

Cake for Breakfast said...

There's no way to keep Bravo and the DVR? Tough one. Things to consider: many show are shown online on the network websites - so perhaps no DVR won't be a problem. For me, the choice would clearly be keep the DVR, I've gotten very used to a life without commercials. And no matter how few channels, I'll always have something to watch - commercial free.

Celexo said...

I'm leaning towards the DVR too, for all the reasons you just laid out...but we're still mulling it over.

Unknown said...

Wish you had asked about Friedman's book. I have that sitting on my bookshelf when we read it in high school. Great book. I don't watch much TV myself, so can't help you on the cable dillema. Using a DVR is like going over to the dark side; it is very difficult going back.

Celexo said...

We just discovered that the cheapest package cannot accommodate a DVR, so we're thinking of the middle package sans DVR...maybe quitting cold turkey do the trick?