1.26.2009

"...this rebuke to the exemplary..."

"In a triumph of the middling, in a nod to mediocrity, and with gorge rising, it gives me great nausea to announce Robert Russell -- Bingo Bob, himself -- as your New Vice President.

This lapdog of mining interests is as dull as he is unremarkable, as lackluster as he is soporific, this reversion to the mean, this rebuke to the exemplary, gives hope to the millions unfavored by the exceptional. As the vice-presidency was once being famously described as not worth a bucket of spit, let's all hock a big loogie for Bob Russell.

Not the worst, not the best -- just what we're stuck with."


This scene, from The West Wing's fifth season -- and the episode, I believe, is either "Constituency of One" or "Han" -- is fantastic. I love how Sorkin portrays writers, and writing! In fact, his discussions of the writing process are one of my influences in my writing.

I really enjoy my morning doses of West Wing: my DVR is set to tape any West Wings that appear, and Bravo has been showing them two at time from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM. So, I eat my oatmeal and watch a West Wing...I love it!

Anyway, I discovered that in the episode "Constituency of One" Sorkin uses a joke that he later recycles in an episode of Studio Sixty on the Sunset Strip.* The joke goes something like this:
A jewish guy calls his mom.
He says, "How are you, mom?"
She replies, "I'm starving; I haven't eaten in 60 days."
The son asks, "Why haven't you eaten in 60 days?"
The mom replies, "I didn't want my mouth to be full in case you called!"
I like this joke...it seems more appropriate for the relationship between my mother and my brother; I, on the other, call my mother every Sunday like a good son -- right, mom?

* This is one my best friend's favorite straw-man arguments concerning Aaron Sorkin...hey Sarah, just cause he repeats himself doesn't mean that he's a bad writer! I said, just cause he repeats himself doesn't mean that he's a bad writer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, son

Cake for Breakfast said...

Funny joke there at the end Alex. That concept is exactly why I struggle with Sorkin as a writer. Because he's doing what I couldn't as a wanna be film maker. My theory was always that everything had been done - there would be nothing new. Sorkin's making a fine living off of that! I suppose one could make the argument that he carries themes through his shows, that he weaves story lines or "gimme's" for his fans between all of his series - like imagineers do at Disney World with hidden Mickeys. But, I'm just not buying it. Some of his lines are taken word for word. I just think that's taking the easy way out - and proof that perhaps he was a one hit wonder.
I've been enjoying some West Wing recently myself. I'm so used to Sorkins 1 and 2 season hits like Sports Night and Studio 60, that I forget how much effort it takes to really buckle down and watch some West Wing all the way through.
2nd episode of Studio 60 will always be proof of his genius for me though - when push comes to shove. It's tv magic.