11.23.2008

"Take This Sabbath Day"

I include two separate West Wing references here for no other reasons than: a)I like them; b) I'm really exhausted after 5 days of full-on visiting by The Parents; c) tomorrow I'm dropping of The Parents at the airport. So, the lack of sleep and constant contact with one or both of my progenitors has reduced me to my rawest levels: my brain synapses are firing on an all Aaron-Sorkin level. By the way, did you see the write up in the Times today about Sportsnight?

The second reference is from my favorite 1st-season episode: "Take This Sabbath Day" where the President must consider a death-row pardon. In a secondary story arc, Josh meets Joey Lucas, and then hilarity ensues: it's probably one of my favorite, flat-out funny sequences in Sorkin's writing (right up there with Matt Albee's 'phone mojo' in "The Option Period" from Studio Sixty).

I realized I hadn't written too many TV posts up to this point, so I'll be trying to fill that void. Sadly I've just found out that ABC hasn't picked up Pushing Daisies for another season, which is just tragic. Why can't anything get made these days without appealing to the lowest common denominator? Why must we strive for the most general? I enjoy watching shows, or reading books, that are dense and multi-faceted, not one-dimensional and bland...I'm about the spin off into a more in-depth discussion of "Speed-the-Plow" but I don't have the time.

More to come over the Thanksgiving weekend: including, a review of Cryptonomicon, a phenomenal book by Neal Stephenson; more discussion of Mamet's "Speed-the-Plow"; and a funny story about how I've been quoting The Shining to TW for years now and she just figured it out!

"I drink from the keg of glory, Donna; bring me the finest bagels and muffins in the world."

Huzzah, The Parents will soon be flying back to STL!

1 comment:

Cake for Breakfast said...

Speaking of West Wing references, I'm disappointed in you Alex! So far, every one of my blog post titles has been an episode title from either Sports Night or West Wing. I've taken it on as an extra creative spin to my own blog. I'm coming back around on West Wing. In fact, I bought all 7 seasons for Colin for Christmas, and I can't tell you how many times I've either wanted to open them or give him an "early" present, just so I could bust them out.