11.18.2008

RBOC: Sci-Fi edition

The Random Bits Of Crap today revolve around my TV choices for the past few days:

* Last night's Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles (TSCC) featured a guest appearance by one of my all-time favorite actors: Richard Schiff. Many of you might have recognized him from his star turn in Jurassic Park 2 (beardless), even though he appeared last night with the rare goatee. I've grown to love him, however, as the bearded speech writer on The West Wing: Toby Ziegler. His role, last night on TSCC, as a machine-enabler returned from the future, gave him very little to do on screen other than sit duct-taped to a chair and receive a little torture. But his final scene does enact one of my favorite sci-fi/time-travel moments: when one returns in time and upsets the future (see Harry Potter 3); gotta love it!

* If you're not watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars on the Cartoon Network, I completely understand. Lucas has dropped the ball in his recent movies, and you're burned out. That said, give this little cartoon a try. It's only 30 minutes, and each episode features a short vignette about some of the more rare characters in the Star Wars universe. The graphics are amazing, and the story lines aren't atrocious. It's on Friday nights, at 9PM, but that's what DVRs are for, right?

* On that note, give Fringe a chance as well. It'll remind you all of your early fascination with The X-Files, for many reasons, but the crazy father (John Noble, as Dr. Walter Bishop) will keep you coming back for more...enjoy! If you like Hugh Laurie's Dr. House, you'll love the delightfully kooky Fringe.

---------------
* On to the dissertation, I got a solid 45 minutes worth of work done on the train this morning. I've completely pivoted from Ch. 1 to the current chapter. I'm thinking of this chapter as a gateway to the analysis, which comes in the following chapters. My advisor has proposed that I write those chapters in the style of Rosen's The Classical Style or Sonata Forms, so I'm hoping to keep this particular chapter very simple and straightforward...you know, unlike Rosen's writing--we'll see how successful I am at that.

* I'm at the Bostix booth today (Fanny, if you'd like to stop by), so I'm hoping to get a little more accomplished on the chapter. Maybe I'll get some fun Bostix-related stories to share later tonight.

No comments: